Wednesday, March 4, 2009

The First Attempt

So, it's my first 'real' attempt (outside of things like Xanga and Facebook) to join the world of bloggers everywhere. I have no idea how often I'll manage to do this -- a thought a day, perhaps? Maybe 3x per week? I'd love to use this as a way to jumpstart my ideas for novels, stories, etc., as well as (perhaps egoistically) share my perspective on life.

I'm at the end of 4 days off of work, headed back tomorrow. And I'm thinking about the idea of excellence. How can I, in whatever situation I happen to be in, be the best person I can be? The most reliable, knowledgeable, passionate, consistent, person I'm capable of being? Someone I look up to challenged me on this today. Initially my mind rebelled at this idea, because I have learned to believe that as a Christian I should not put myself forward. But as I processed it I realized that this is how I glorify God in a workplace where it is beyond verboten to discuss religion. Heck, this is how I glorify God no matter where I am. And it's also how I grow, and prepare myself for whatever next opportunity God has for me.

How effectively do we as Christians do this? Particularly in a culture where work is our identity, siestas or breaks are generally unheard of, and most people live fairly unbalanced lives. On the other hand, despite the time and priority we place on work, how effective and reliable are we, generally? I read a quote from a well-known author and talk-show host (whose name I of course can't remember now) that said most Americans only work about 50-60% of their actual day. The rest is spent on the phone, checking personal email, balancing their checkbooks, paying bills, talking to coworkers, taking a few minutes extra at a lunch break, etc.

Thoughts, anyone?

3 comments:

  1. Hooray! Welcome to the blogosphere, my friend! Seems like four days off in a row is a dangerous prospect for you, giving you a chance to get some of your thoughts out of your mind and into the daylight.

    While I would love to comment on your actual question, you will have to forgive me for the fact that 6 weeks of sleep deprivation has robbed me of deep thought for the moment (as much as I am ever capable of).

    And while I should be going to bed in preparation for my 2am wakeup call, I actually have a meeting tomorrow with people expecting me to contribute something that I have yet to produce. But I am here to shower you with lots of love, and to say that I will be back often, for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WELCOME to my slice of cyber-heaven. I LOVE blogging!! And I get to be your first follower...that way, each time I sign in, it will let me know if you've produced some new revelation that I need to be aware of...LOL! I can't wait to read all that you have to share. Deep thoughts for your first blog...way to jump right in there and wade in deep, no shallow end for you, eh? This is actually something I have been pndering as well, in a slightly different forum. As you know, I'm at home all day so of course, there is 'extra' time for phone calls, taking a leisurely lunch hour or balancing my checkbook...BUT, does that mean that I'm being the best wife, mom, teacher, cook, nurse, bargain hunter I can be? Or do I need to find ways to get more done in less time, but still do them well, so that when Hubby gets home, I have not only time to spend with him, but have a bit of energy to expend as well???? HHHmmmmmm...I'm working on it. Gosh, it's WAY too early for these deep thoughts for me...I'm working on only a few hours of sleep myself and I've learned in my ripe old age that overtired and introspection do NOT mix well. ;) All of that to say...welcome to blogging and I promise not ALL fo my comments will be this long...thanks for sharing!!
    Blessings,
    Lil Devil ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey Laura, I enjoy listening/reading your ideas. Currently swamped in work and it's ironic taht I'm reading this durign work since it's sorta about being the best worker, etc while we're at work, etc etc... teehee... I added your blog to my links... I dont keep myblog up like I used to, but it's at charitybishop.blogspot.com in case you're interested... used to be stuff about my random travels etc then it became about Dave, and Matt etc... one day I'll get back on it, but meanwhile, I need to get back to work and work hard. =) hugs, chair

    ReplyDelete