Sunday, March 15, 2009

Someone Who Inspires Me

So, it seems that poetry comes across my thoughts pretty consistently -- whether it's mine, or someone else's. Somehow poetry just fits the way my mind experiences the world.

When I did my senior paper in college, one of the professors who graded it paid me the great compliment of telling me my poetry reminds her of Denise Levertov's. Consequently, I went on to obsessively read nearly everything she's written. :) Here's one of hers that always makes me think. I enjoy her imagery and the way she shows you what she sees and feels, rather than telling you.

Enjoy. (And yes, eventually I'll get up the courage to show you some things I've been writing.)

Losing Track
by Denise Levertov

Long after you have swung back
away from me
I think you are still with me:

you come in close to the shore
on the tide
and nudge me awake the way

a boat adrift nudges the pier:
am I a pier
half-in half-out of the water?

and in the pleasure of that communion
I lose track,
the moon I watch goes down, the

tide swings you away before
I know I'm
alone again long since,

mud sucking at gray and black
timbers of me,
a light growth of green dreams drying.

1 comment:

  1. Well, again I'll say that poetry escapes me, but I do love the line about being the pier..half in and half out of the water. How can I apply that to my life?? Am I doing things halfway when I should give them my all? Should I become more radical in my beliefs so that I am no longer lukewarm and displeasing to the Lord?? Deep ponderings for such a literal gal like me. Thanks for making me think deep thoughts! BTW, can't wait to read yours...maybe a deep fondness for the actual poet will make me dig a little deeper for understanding! Love you!!
    Kristy

    ReplyDelete